In this digital era, almost everyone uses internet and most popular browser among all is Google Chrome. If you have used or using internet, then you might have heard about Chrome browser before. Chrome is actually a Google project, and it is known to be one of the fastest, and safest browser available right now. While there are many advantages of using this browser, there are some limitations too. Many Google Chrome users have reported that they are facing err_spdy_protocol_error problem while using Chrome. Do note that this error is related to hardware or host but with the internet connectivity.
When you’ll try to access some big websites like Wikipedia, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr etc. even then you can encounter this err_spdy_protocol_error. There are many other ways in which this error code can be dispalyed, for example it can be like “this web page is not available” error: err_spdy_protocol_error, errors like err_spdy_protocol_error Chrome, err_spdy_protocol_error nginx or err_spdy_protocol_error WordPress. The solution of err_spdy_protocol_error problem remains same.
If you are among people who are facing error code: ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR in Google Chrome browser, then you have landed on the correct page. Here in this post we are going to tell you about err_spdy_protocol_error meaning, along with ways to fix err_spdy_protocol_error Chrome. Do note that failed to load resource: net::err_spdy_protocol_error have different solutions for different system, so make sure you try all of the methods mentioned below. So, let’s get started.
What Is Err_Spdy_Protocol_Error?
Before moving on to the solutions of err_spdy_protocol_error, you must know what causes err_spdy_protocol_error and what is err_spdy_protocol_error?
ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR is related to network security. SPDY was a protocol before, but now Google doesn’t support it. This protocol was designed to load web pages faster and to improve the web security. You’ll be amazed to know that SPDY actually stands for “speedy” and is used to reduce a web pages load time. Though because of HTTP 2 issues with vulnerability Google and other web browsers dropped their support for this protocol. If you are facing this error, then you will need to fix SPDY sockets on your network. There could be several other reasons why you are getting failed to load resource: net::err_spdy_protocol_error. For example:
- Outdated Google Chrome Browser.
- Antivirus Blocking.
- Firewall Blocking.
Check out other errors solution:
- Fix iPhone Stuck on Apple Logo
- Fix a 400 Bad Request Error Massage
- Fix Windows 10 Start Menu Not Working Error
- Fix iPhone Wont Connect to iTune Store Error
- Fix Unable To Connect To Nvidia try again later
How To Fix Err_Spdy_Protocol_Error In Windows
Method #1. Fix ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR By Clearing Cookies
- First of all type this in your Google Chrome address bar: chrome://settings.
- Now press Enter and you will be taken to Chrome settings page.
- You will have to scroll down till late, and click on “Show Advanced Settings”.
- Now a new settings page will appear on your screen.
- Under the Privacy section click on Clear Browsing Data.
- A pop-up will appear on your screen. Don’t forget to select these two options from it: “Cookies & other site and plugins data” and “Cached images and files”.
- You can also deselect every other option of the list.
- Another thing you should keep in mind that while doing this make sure the setting of “Obliterate the following items from:” is always set to “the beginning of time”.
- When you are ready, just click on “Clear Browsing Data” and wait for the process to finish.
- That’s it, your ERR_SPYD_PROTOCOL_ERROR problem will be solved now.
Method #2. Update Your Browser To Solve ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR
Another method to fix err spdy protocol error is by updating your browser to the latest version. As we said earlier that this SPDY protocol was once used by Google, but now it is not supported. So if you are getting err_spdy_protocol_error, then there might be chances that you are using an older version of Google Chrome. The latest version of Chrome browser is 62.0.3202.62 (at the time of writing this article) and you can easily tally it with your browser version to know if you are using the latest Chrome version or not.
There are many other third-party apps and software available to get latest version of software installed in your system. You can also use them to get latest Chrome, and get rid of this err_spdy_protocol_error.
Also you can manually update your chrome browser to get rid of err spdy protocol error permanently. You just need to follow the below steps to update. Here is the steps:
- At first lunch the chrome browser and then click on three dots which is located at right corner of the browser.
- After that go to the “help” option which will take you to a new page. As soon as you go to the “help” option the Chrome will automatically start searching for an update. If you have a outdated chrome browser then its automatically started update. like in the picture given below.
- You can either visit the Settings option of Chrome or update your browser from there, or you can visit this URL to download Google Chrome latest version: https://www.google.co.in/chrome/browser/desktop/
So, this is the most effective way to fix annoyingly err_spdy_protocol_error. So just update your browser and enjoy a error free browsing experience.
Method #3. Flush DNS and Renew IP Using CMD
If nothing mentioned above is working for you for err_spdy_protocol_error fix, then you can use CMD to flush DNS and renew IP which can help you to solve ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR sometimes. If you don’t know how to flush DNS and renew IP of computer system, then you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all open Command Prompt or CMD as Administrator.
- To do this, type CMD in search and right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
- Now a new CMD window will appear on your screen.
- You will have to run below mentioned commands one by one in this window. Do note that you have to press ENTER after each command.
- For Linux Users -> nscd -I hosts
- For Mac Users -> dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
- For Ubuntu/Debian Users -> sudo service dns-clean restart
Method #4. Flush SPDY Sockets/Sessions To Troubleshoot err_spdy_protocol_error
SPDY_Protocol_Error is related to SPDY socket, and hence you’ll need to flush or clean SPDY cache and sockets of your browser to fix this error. You don’t have to look for a third-party app or software to clear Google Chrome cache and sockets as it have in-built option for it. If you want to know what causes err_spdy_protocol_error, then let us tell you that it is related to Google Chrome’s data server and you can solve it by following below steps:
- First of all copy and paste this in your Chrome address bar: chrome://net-internals/#sockets
- Now press Enter and you will taken to a new Chrome settings page.
- Do note that you should not change or modify anything here if you don’t know about it. Doing so can harm your PC and can cause your browser to crash.
- Now you have to click on “Flush socket pools” button to clear Google Chrome SPDY cache and socket.
Here’s how to do it the other way and in most advanced way which works for all. If you are not able to understand above method, then follow this method to fix your error code: ERR_SPYD_PROTOCOL_ERROR.
- First of all copy and paste this in your Chrome address bar: chrome://net-internals/#events&q=type:SPDY_SESSION%20is:active
- Now a new page with only active SPDY_SESSION will open.
- Click on tiny arrow facing down on the top right corner of the page.
- Now a drop-down menu will appear on your screen, under Tools you’ll find an option named Flush Sockets.
Now you need to restart your web browser and visit the same page you were trying to visit and check if err_spdy_protocol_error is fixed or not.
Method #5. Check Antivirus/Firewall Settings
If you are using any software of Avast, or Avast Antivirus, then there are possibilities that the program is creating problems and you are getting err_spdy_protocol_error in Chrome. You can simply fix it by clicking on Settings icon in Avast Antivirus, then go to Active protection and Customize for web shield option. Now here you’ll get an option to add your website to the list so you can open it. Do note that if you are getting err_spdy_protocol_error on many https enabled websites, then you can try disabling the Web Shield Settings of Avast Antivirus.
Google Chrome is one of the best browser right now, we all know that and if you are getting err_spdy_protocol_error in Google Chrome, then you can fix it easily. Network security is the main reason behind this error, so you can look for it if you are getting ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR. Though there are many more ways available out there to solve failed to load resource: net::err_spdy_protocol_error, but above mentioned ways are best among them. If you know how to fix ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR in Android, Chrome or WordPress, then do let us know about them via comments below.